Extra Curricular Activities
St Thomas Aquinas prides itself in being a place where each child is able to become involved in a wide variety of educational pursuits. Interested staff and parents ensure that cultural, academic, as well as sporting activities are available to all students. Some of these activities are listed below:
Choir and Drama
St Thomas Aquinas School choir is open to children in Year 2 to Year 6. They perform at school functions and local events. At times, different groups of students prepare to perform in musicals, dance and drama presentations to entertain different audiences and to participate in different competitions.
We encourage and support students in participating in many educational competitions throughout the ACT and Australia. The students of Years 3-6 are specifically invited to participate in the University of NSW Competitions Mathematics, English, Science and Digital Technology. We like to encourage and celebrate children’s achievements and participation in such events.
St Thomas Aquinas provides the students with many other opportunities to participate in sport representing the school. These sports include:
- Cross Country Running
Many activities at our school require parental involvement, which we see as being of great assistance to our students. At this age children love to see Mum, Dad, carers and friends doing something with them or supporting them in some of their educational adventures. To help us provide the best possible education for your children, your involvement as parents is always welcome.
Help can be in many forms:
- helping children come to know and love God by taking children to Mass and celebrating the Sacraments;
- ensuring that homework is completed;
- working with the teachers to ensure that your child is happy at school;
- ensuring that your child is enjoying reading and/or being read to each night (or regularly); and talking with your child about school (highlighting the positive aspects).
- participating in the Sacramental Program;
- assisting the class during Literacy and Numeracy sessions or any area of the curriculum that you enjoy or have competency in;
- assisting when transport is required;
- attending School Community Council meetings;
- support and attendance at school functions;
- offering to help in our library.
Parents’ participation in the life of the school community is strongly invited and warmly welcomed at all levels.